Sponsor

Unpopular Opinion

I'M NOT ON THE SAGA TRAIN          


So this isn't me saying that SAGA isn't good.  It is.  I'm a huge fan of FIONA STAPLES' art and Vaughn is beyond talented.  SAGA scripts a wonderful fantasy/sci-fi/opera of epic wonderment.  

It just doesn't do anything for me.  Plain and simple.  I bought the first vol tpb to see what the fuss was about.  I'd missed the boat completely on obtaining the actual issues.  I sat down when I had time to devote to the whole she-bang.  I read ... and waited.  It was going to grip me.  All of those awards and accolades, right?  The next page ... and the next ... and I just never felt the grab.  Why?  I honestly don't know.  I mean I can't be exactly sure what it is.

Possibly it's because I'm an 80's child (born in the 70's last summer) and I've not only already got my space operas but I've also got a very specific way about them.  I have a feel that needs to be there, a look ... an aura around it that makes it work.  What I felt with SAGA just wasn't it.  It happened when Sy-Fy launched THE EXPANSE.  It just didn't do it for me.  Now, SAGA is certainly a far superior piece of work than that tv show is which makes this really weird for me.  Though this is supposed to be in the pot with the Star Wars/Trek, Flash Gordon, Nexus, Last Starfighter, Fifth Element, Battlestar Galactica, and Thanos/Warlock Starlin work.  It just doesn't fit in with that stuff ... for me.  That might just be why plenty of other folks DO like it.

The one thing I can maybe put my finger on is that it feels bloated with everything it addresses.  Right off the bat the stereotype gender-role switcheroo is front and center.  Right smack in the center of an apparent epic galactic war it is force fed ... and oh, they're apparently Romeo and Juliet as they're from the opposite sides of this conflict.  Also, don't forget the kid born right off the bat as well.  

I dunno.  It just didn't strike a chord with me.  I read the entire vol in one sitting and after closing it, sat there for a second and thought ...

... ok.  So yeah.  

I'm not on the SAGA train.









Share on Google Plus

About LDCS

Just a guy collecting comics and putting his thoughts down on what he gets his hands on. Not even close to a professional critic or writer ... which probably makes me perfectly qualified to slap down an opinion

0 comments:

Post a Comment